Friday, July 18, 2008

Atkins and Mediterranean Diets Trump Others

All over the health news yesterday were the results of a large studying comparing the Atkins Diet, Mediterranean Diet, and a low-fat diet. The results were that those on the Atkins diet had the best results in terms of lowering cholesterol and losing weight, followed closely by the Mediterranean Diet. Sounded like the Mediterranean Diet seemed to work well for the women in the group. Here is one of the many articles on it in yesterday's news:

Low Carb Plan Best in Study

This article finds a slightly different conclusions - that losing weight is difficult - based on the study:

Healthy Diets Shown to Have Benefits Despite Modest Weight Losses

And, and this article questions how good the study was:

Never Ending Diet Wars

While, I have not tried the Mediterranean Diet, I have tried the Atkins Diet and found that it worked pretty well for me. I got really tired of having meat, but generally felt much better and did lose the pounds. But now, looking back, I wonder if I felt so much better because I was eliminating things I am allergic to (wheat, corn, soy) on the Atkins Diet, but didn't know that I was allergic to them at the time. That could account for why I felt so much better.

No comments: