Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Favorite Health TV Show

On Saturdays my ideal activities include:
  • Waking up,
  • Eating breakfast while watching HGTV,
  • Taking the dog out for a long walk or run,
  • Returning/showering in time to watch my favorite Saturday morning TV show,
  • Watching my favorite Saturday morning show on BBC America (12EST and 12:30EST)

You Are What You Eat is hosted by Gillian McKeith, a holistic nutritionist, who works with overweight and/or otherwise very unhealthy Brits. She coaches them for eight weeks.

What I like about this show:
  • They do before and after body overviews of the people (difference in 8 weeks)
  • She has people record what they eat (or their friends record it) over a week, and then shows it to them all on one table (usually disgusting)
  • She gives people the equivalents of what bad food equals in good food (e.g. how many cups of sugary, milky coffee a week equal how many eggs you could eat for breakfast with those calories)
  • She analyzes people's poo and even smells it (really)
  • She has the participants blood work done which often leads to finding interesting deficiencies due to participants' unhealthy ways
  • She makes people eat vegetables and fruits and exercise
  • Entire families are often involved

This is a fun show to watch, and I am excited to get my Tivo hooked up soon so I can record it on the Saturdays when I have less domestic plans.

Anyone want to come over, have lunch, and watch some You Are What You Eat on Saturday?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am too lazy to put this comment in the correct post, :) sorry, but you were talking about good exercise clothes. I have liked a lot of tops and pants that Lucy makes, and I think they have a Short version of their pants. They also have pretty decent sales, so that is a plus.

I have never ordered pants from Athleta, but I have ordered a bathing suit, which I love, and some dresses, which I also love. I know that doesn't help much, but thought I would mention it.

Also, REI has good sales on workout stuff, they actually might be having a sale now. Not sure they carry petite pants, but at least good shorts and I like their wick-away tops a lot.

Now an actual comment about your post - I have been interested in watching this show, especially the poo part! I would love to join you one of these days, it just depends on a certain little person's schedule. :)

Again, way to go with all of this, your dedication is amazing! And I'll say it again, I think you look awesome already, but it's great that you are taking such good care of yourself!

Menehune said...

Thanks for the comments! The encouragement is appreciated and I will check out Lucy, because I will need another pair of "Short" running pants in the fall. I am about to have another pair of old work out pants become victims of my rag making scissors (as they are starting to get holey). I also would like a running shirt that has short sleeves, so I will browse what they have. (I don't like too much sun on my shoulders, so don't like sleeveless much.)

Just give us a call and come on over on a good Saturday for you! We may be gone the weekend after next to the river house, but we will see.

Anonymous said...

I just thought of one other place for clothes (can you tell I love work out clothes? I am a nut.). Lululemon in Clarendon has some great yoga clothes and some running stuff, though not as much running. They are acutally having a sale right now too, but I think more yoga stuff is on sale then running. Lots of pants and capris. I really love their clothes, they are pricey, but definitely worth it in my opinion. In fact, I am wearing one of their stretchy, breathable tops today over my big ole belly. :)