Monday, July 7, 2008

Frozen Summer Treats!

I love frozen treats in the summer time. However, I avoided many of them until recently due to their high sugar and sometimes high-fat content. Trader Joe's has a few great options... Caribbean Fruit Floes are one of my favorites... though I would have to check the ingredients again before purchasing.

I also have taken to making pops by freezing ripe bananas this summer. They make a creamy treat after they are frozen and only contain their natural sugar. You can coat them with chocolate or yogurt too before freezing for a fancier treat. I also came across a recipe that calls for rolling them in honey and then Rice Crispies on bakingbites.com.



I may try watermelon pop next. A few of the recipes call for blending and then freezing:
1 cup of watermelon
1 cup of orange juice
1 cup of water

Mmm... even a watermelon smoothy.

My favorite gluten-free/homeopathy blog also has a pops (or "lollies" as I guess they call it in the UK) recipe that looks delicious that I will have to try in the not too distant future:

Rose Pink Ice Cream Lollies

I will be grocery shopping again in the next day or two and looking forward to creating my next frozen treat! Please send any other frozen treat suggestions my way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you gotta check out da' floes!