Thursday, May 29, 2008

Death of an Ugly Pair of Sweatpants

I was very pleased today to find out that I had two holes in an ugly pair of sweat pants that I have had since grad school. My first thought was "It is about time these things died," and my second thought was "Hope I didn't do any stretches outside with these holes in the thighs."

They were a pair of sweat pants that I purchased, because they fit and would do... not because I particularly liked them. Have any of those clothing items? The ones that you get, just because you need something, but haven't found something you really like?

This goes back to my earlier post on petite workout pants. I used to buy whatever would fit my length that I wouldn't need to alter. I bought the now dead sweatpants (a size too small) because they actually ran short... especially after being washed. I would only wear them as often as I had to, until I lost the 25-32 pounds a couple of years ago (i.e. when the muffin tops shrank a bit). I started to wear them more often, and now they are dead.

I am very pleased to be able to replace the dead pants, especially since there are a couple of decent options out there for petite workout pants. They will be replaced with the "Short" Nike Modern Workout Pants that were in stock in my size recently . (I just checked online to get the link above, and they again do not have my size. Glad I got them when I did!)

I have found that the cheap sweatpants cannot handle my running schedule. When I actually started running for the first time three years ago, I started to notice that there really can be a difference between poor and higher quality fitness clothing. I also found that I am more comfortable in material that breathes better, does not move into the nether regions when running (or during yoga), and can withstand logging a good number of miles each week.

So, I am excited that my sweat pants have died! I am slowly replacing my yucky work out clothes with better quality and better fitting workout clothes as I go along.

Now, next to help my blue running shorts retire... I am sure that my sister and mother are hoping that my ugly running shorts from high school will kick the bucket next. (They are the old school kind... with the big slit up the side and large white built in cotton underwear.) My mother and sister made more than a remark or two about my bringing the old blue running shorts with me on vacation several weeks ago.


(Ps. for those of you with green tendencies, you will be happy to note that the dead sweatpants will become newly minted cleaning rags. Less paper towels and less trees cut down.)

No comments: