Friday, May 23, 2008

Traveling with Allergies and Intolerances

Traveling with allergies and intolerances can be a pain. I have to prepare in advance now, when I know I will need snacks and meals while traveling. You may notice that my menus have a few items that substitute regularly consumed foods (e.g. gluten-free bread instead of regular bread). I am allergic to soy, corn, and wheat products and generally gluten intolerant. Yikes!? Right!? Thankfully, I am only moderately allergic to them (no throat swelling or anything crazy like that).

The allergies and intolerance, however, mean that I can rarely eat any meals served on flights and need to avoid many fast foods as they are loaded with all of the above as fillers, congealers, oils, etc. So, for tomorrow and Sunday flights and layovers, I have purchased some allergen free snack bars (that have added vitamins). Enjoy Life brand makes cookies, snack bars, and cereals that do not contain any of the items to which I am allergic.



I am planning on pairing my Cocoa Loco snack bar with a skim latte tomorrow during my layover. A salad is planned for lunch. We will see what food appears at the wedding. (I will have a snack bar with me just in case.) And, I would be surprised if a little wine doesn't make an appearance at some point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good plan. i wish i could plan like you.